Wrongful Death Lawyers in San Antonio Giving Hope to Clients After an Immeasurable Loss
When someone suffers a wrongful death, the entire family is affected. They may feel overwhelmed with grief and confusion, not to mention the practical concerns that must be addressed to ensure that the deceased’s estate is properly managed and any pending legal actions are taken. This can be an incredibly difficult time for families, and it is often helpful to have an experienced lawyer by their side who can help them through this difficult process.
If you have recently lost a loved one in an accident that you believe was wrongful, the attorneys at Packard Law Firm want to help. We have years of experience helping families like yours get the justice they deserve, and we are committed to providing our clients with the highest level of service possible. We understand how difficult this time can be, and we will do everything we can to make things easier for you.
Taking the first steps after a loved one’s death can be difficult, but it is important to act quickly to protect your rights. The first thing you should do is contact an experienced wrongful death attorney.
Many clients who come to us have questions about what exactly a wrongful death claim is and whether they may have grounds to file one. Please do not hesitate to call us today at (210) 340-8877 for a free consultation. We would be happy to answer any questions you may have and discuss your case with you in more detail.
What is a Wrongful Death Claim?
The sudden and unexpected death of a loved one is always a tragedy. But when someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing causes the death, it can be especially devastating. If you have lost a family member in an accident or due to someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to file a wrongful death claim.
A wrongful death claim is a civil lawsuit that seeks to recover damages for the survivors of a person who died due to the negligence or wrongdoing of another. In Texas, the surviving spouse, children, and parents of the deceased can bring a wrongful death claim.
To prevail in a wrongful death suit, the plaintiff must prove that the defendant’s negligence or wrongful act caused the victim’s death. This can be a difficult burden to meet, which is why it is important to have an experienced wrongful death attorney on your side.
Winning a wrongful death claim can help ease the financial burden caused by the death of a loved one. It can also provide some measure of justice for the victim’s family. Many families who have allowed us to help them with their wrongful death claims have told us that the process has helped them begin healing.
There are a variety of circumstances that might result in someone dying prematurely. In cases of wrongful death, our attorneys have obtained compensation for surviving family members on behalf of:
- Victims of car accidents
- Victims of semi-truck accidents
- Victims of drunk driving accidents
- Pedestrians who have been hit by cars
- Victims of defective products
- Victims of medical malpractice
The attorneys at the Packard Law Firm have represented many families in wrongful death claims in Texas. We understand the devastation that losing a loved one can cause, and we will fight for your family after such a loss.
If you have lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence or wrongful act, please contact us today for a free consultation.
What Damages Can Be Recovered in a Wrongful Death Claim?
The loss of a loved one is always devastating, but when someone else’s negligence or recklessness caused the death, it can be especially hard to cope with. If you have lost a family member in an accident that could have been prevented, you may be considering filing a wrongful death claim.
In Texas, the surviving spouse, children, and parents of the deceased can file a wrongful death suit. While no amount of money can ever truly make up for the loss of a loved one, successful wrongful death claims can help surviving family members recover damages such as:
- Medical bills related to the deceased’s final injuries or illness
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of income and benefits (including future earnings)
- Loss of love, companionship, and support
- Pain and suffering experienced by the deceased before death
No longer having a loved one in your life is always going to be difficult, but you should not have to worry about how you will pay for the expenses related to their death. Emotionally, it may be hard to think about pursuing a legal claim at such a difficult time, but working with an experienced wrongful death attorney can make the process as smooth and stress-free as possible.
To learn more about your rights and options after losing a loved one in an accident, contact a San Antonio wrongful death attorney at the Packard Law Firm today. We offer free initial consultations so that you can have your case reviewed at no cost or obligation to you.
How Do Attorneys Establish if the Death Was Caused by Negligence?
To successfully file and win a wrongful death lawsuit, the plaintiff’s attorney must be able to prove that the death was caused by the negligence of another person or entity. This is typically done by investigating the circumstances surrounding the death and gathering evidence to support the claim that the defendant’s negligence was a direct cause of the victim’s death.
One of the most important factors that attorneys consider when determining if a death was caused by negligence is the victim’s state of mind leading up to the accident. If the victim was acting carelessly or recklessly just before the accident occurred, this could be used as evidence to support a claim of negligence. Additionally, attorneys will look at factors such as whether the defendant violated any safety regulations or displayed a pattern of negligence. If any of these factors are present, it can make it easier for an attorney to prove that the death was indeed caused by negligence.
In some cases, expert testimony may be necessary to establish causation. For example, if a defective product caused the death, an expert witness may be needed to testify about how the defect contributed to the victim’s death.
Causation may be easier to establish in certain situations. If a drunk driver caused the death, it will be easier to establish causation than if a defective product caused the death. Similar to causation, damages may also be easier to prove in certain situations.
If the victim was the family’s breadwinner, it may be easier to prove that the death resulted in financial damages to the family. If the victim was a stay-at-home parent, it may be easier to prove that the death resulted in noneconomic damages, such as the loss of companionship.
How Can Hiring a Wrongful Death Lawyer Make a Difference in my Case?
Accidents that result in death are always tragic, and the survivors are often left wondering what could have been done to prevent the accident. In some cases, the death could have been prevented if another party had acted differently. When this is the case, the survivors may have a wrongful death claim.
If you have lost a loved one in an accident, you may be asking yourself if hiring a wrongful death lawyer will make a difference in your case. The answer is that it can. Here are some ways that a wrongful death lawyer can help:
- Investigate the accident – A wrongful death lawyer will investigate the accident to determine what happened and who is responsible. This may include talking to witnesses, reviewing police reports, and looking at any available video footage.
- Gather evidence – In addition to investigating the accident, a wrongful death lawyer will also gather evidence to support your claim. This may include medical records, employment records, and financial records.
- Negotiate with insurance companies – Insurance companies are often reluctant to pay out on claims, especially when they involve large sums of money. A wrongful death lawyer will negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf to get you the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit – If the insurance companies do not offer a fair settlement, a wrongful death lawyer will file a lawsuit on your behalf. This may include going to court and presenting your case to a judge or jury. Having professional legal representation can increase your chances of success in court.
- Maximum Compensation – A wrongful death lawyer will fight for maximum compensation for your losses. This may include medical expenses, funeral costs, lost income, and pain and suffering.
- In addition to compensation, a wrongful death claim can also help you get justice for your loved one. Holding the responsible party accountable can help prevent similar accidents from happening in the future.
Hiring a wrongful death lawyer will not guarantee that you will win your case, but it will give you the best chance of getting the compensation you deserve. If you have lost a loved one in an accident, contact the Packard Law Firm today at (210) 340-877 to discuss your case.