Hearing Expectations: What is My Social Security Hearing Going to be Like?
You are scheduled for your Social Security hearing – the most important part of the Social Security claim. The following may answer your question of what to expect.
- Well, it’s a very informal setting. The room is not intimidating and there’s usually five people in attendance. It’s you, your attorney, a court reporter who takes notes, an expert who talks about your jobs over the last 15 years and the judge.
- It’s important to dress for the informal setting. Never dress like you’re going to church or like you’re going to the beach. Just wear what you’d wear if you were going shopping.
- There’s only 3 main topics of questions:
- First, what is the last 15 years of your work history look like - what jobs did you do and where did you work?
- Then, we talk about your medical problems and how they affect your daily life.
- And lastly, we discuss your activities and daily living. This is what you do - day in and day out. From laundry, mopping, sweeping, other chores around the house. The judge just wants to know what a day in your life looks like.
- Now, it’s important to note, when you testify, there’s only one key: that’s being honest and sincere. We suggest you not undersell or oversell your problems. You can’t fake sincerity - just be yourself.