How to Recover Future Lost Wages After an Accident

If you’ve been injured in an accident, there is a good chance that you won’t be able to continue earning as much money as you would have otherwise. Fortunately, that lost money can be recovered. Here’s how:

Can I Sue for Money I Would Have Made But Can’t Earn Anymore?

If you’ve been involved in an accident, and are involved in a personal injury lawsuit you, one of the types of damages you can request is “future earnings” or “future lost wages.”

“Future earnings” means the money you would have made for work if it had not been for the accident, but because of the accident, you can no longer make that money. “Lost future earnings” can come because you can no longer work at all or if the amount of work you can do has been reduced because of injuries.

If either situation applies to you, you may seek compensation for “future earnings.”

How Can I Prove I Have Future Lost Wages?

There are two primary facts you need to demonstrate in order to successfully seek future earnings.

  1. That you would have made money
  2. That you can’t make that money anymore

Both of these facts can be complicated to demonstrate and will likely require the testimony of experts. In addition, the burden of proving future lost wages is on you.

To prove that you would have made money, you’ll want to show either a contract for future work or a history of past work.

To demonstrate that you won’t be able to perform that work, there are two types of experts who may be able to help you. A medical expert can testify about the nature, extent, and permanence of your injuries and a vocational expert can testify about how those injuries will impact your ability to earn money.

Recover Your Lost Wages With The Help of An Attorney

If you will not be able to earn as much money as you otherwise could have because you were in an accident, you will want to speak to an attorney.

The Packard Law Firm is committed to helping individuals who have lost income because of accident or injury. Reach out to us today.